If you're anything like me, then cooler temperatures for you also means drier skin. I've always suffered from dry, itchy skin especially during the winter months, that is until I switched up my skincare routine and went natural. For the past year or so I've been making and using my own Lavender Lemongrass Body Wash and it has made a HUGE difference.
With only four ingredients, not only is this simple homemade body wash easy to make but it's also cost effective, smells amazing and has powerful moisturizing and calming benefits for your skin. The use of aloe vera gel and skin healing essential oils combined with the soap's rich later also makes it an ideal shave lotion.
DISCLAIMER: As with any new skincare routine, before use always test a patch of the formula on your hand or back of neck to make sure there are no negative skin reactions within 24 hours. And for any one who is new to essential oils, never apply the essential oil directly to your skin without diluting it in a carrier oil first.
Let's take a deeper look at the four ingredients I use and their benefits:
- Un-scented Castile Soap is an all-natural, vegetable based-oil soap. My favorite brand Dr. Brommer's is also organic, vegan and fair trade. Safe for babies and pets, castile soap lathers easily and is free of all chemicals making it the perfect base for essential oils and this body wash.
- Aloe Vera Gel has become my new best friend. Aloe Vera Gel is anti-inflammatory, soothes pain and itching and prevents infection in cracked or raw skin.
- Lavender Essential Oil is my absolute favorite of all my essential oils. Lavender oil has a calming scent helping to reduce anxiety and stress (perfect to starting or ending your day) and has soothing properties to heal skin irritations such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Lemongrass Essential Oil is a natural deodorizer and the scent is so energizing and invigorating to me. Its antiseptic and astringent properties make it a great cleanser and oil for acne prone skin.
STEPS (based on 4oz bottle size) :
- You will need to purchase an amber or dark colored glass bottle (I find a pump bottle easiest) for your body wash. Why you ask? Dark glass helps to keep out the sunlight which can deteriorate essential oils and their therapeutic properties.
- Fill the glass bottle 3/4 full with castile soap.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with aloe vera gel.
- Based on 4 oz. I use about 15 drops of lavender oil. (Click here for a quick dilution conversion guide)
- Then add about 5-8 drops of lemongrass oil.
- Place top on the bottle and shake lightly.
- THAT'S IT!
A small amount of the wash goes a long way so you don't need to use a ton. Make sure you take in a few nice, long breaths when applying in the shower or bath allowing the spa-like aroma to invigorate your senses and hopefully bring a sense of peace to the beginning or end of your day.
By eliminating harsh chemicals and dyes from my daily lathering routine, I've found my skin not only feels softer but appears smoother, heals quickly and is way less itchy. So are you ready to try this homemade natural soap? I promise, your skin (and your nose) will thank you.
SHOP THE POST:
*ALL IMAGES MY OWN